boogdesign posts

Longer posts on standards based web design, portable web development and Linux, intermingled with some stuff on my other nerd interests.

Rob Crowther, London, UK based Blogger, Web Developer, Web Designer and System Administrator - read my Curriculum Vitae

Buy my book!

Book CoverHello! HTML5 and CSS3 available now

Buy my other book!

Book CoverEarly access to HTML5 in Action available now

Latest Comments

Alen Saqe

In response to: Upgrading a Geeksphone Keon to Firefox OS 1.1

Alen Saqe [Visitor]
Thank you for the information. I updated using Windows so i didnt use the sudo comand just ran the flash.bat script and everything went fine.

Kudos
PermalinkPermalink 27/10/13 @ 15:21
Tim

In response to: Fixing Jack's formmail.php for register_globals = off

Tim [Visitor]
I am having mixed results aswell. I changed some of the faults with the suggestions but not eveything is fixed. I cant get the required fields to work. I asked my webhosting company but they had no idea. Would anyone be interested in helping a complete novice?
PermalinkPermalink 06/10/10 @ 08:29

In response to: Rounded Corners for Image Elements in Firefox with SVG

robertc [Member]
Hi Bert. You would have to mess around with co-ordinate systems to get pixel equivalent values, a quick hack might be to use unequal values for rx and ry. Note that in Firefox 4.0 the issue preventing the use of CSS border-radius is now resolved fixed.

PermalinkPermalink 16/09/10 @ 11:41
Bert Casier

In response to: Rounded Corners for Image Elements in Firefox with SVG

Bert Casier [Visitor]
This is nice!

Is there a way to specify pixel values for the radius, on landscape images the ellipse width is distorted...
PermalinkPermalink 16/09/10 @ 10:02
Jason

In response to: Fixing Jack's formmail.php for register_globals = off

Jason [Visitor]
I have applied all the changes above with mixed results. Most of these fixes work. However, as stated above in a few post "the require fields don't function properly." Even if the required fields are filled out, the script still thinks they are not. Any one got a solution/way to fix this script?
PermalinkPermalink 09/09/10 @ 17:22
guest

In response to: Firefox 4.0 Features for Font Fanatics

guest [Visitor]
Nice article, great feature for all fans of typography. Unfortunately it will take years before all major browsers will support this :(

btw: I believe you mixed up left and right (or 3.6 and 4.0) in the second ligatures example.
PermalinkPermalink 10/08/10 @ 11:40
AbdulHakim Maina

In response to: Fixing WackoWiki for PHP 5

AbdulHakim Maina [Visitor]
Thanks for the hack, Rob.

I agree that it has to do with logging for debugging purposes. The contents of the variable $wacko aren't text though and can't be converted to text either.

I commented off the whole line: $cache->Log("Before Run wacko=".$wacko);

Works great!
PermalinkPermalink 07/08/10 @ 22:35
Design babe Brisbane

In response to: London Web Standards: Inclusivity with Sandi Wassmer

I think the net is so complicated and it works in such fast way that as soon as you make something work slower or not easily for the general public you will not get the mass results that you want so finding a point where the disable can interact with the general i think will take long time.
PermalinkPermalink 05/07/10 @ 01:24
Chris

In response to: Fixing Jack's formmail.php for register_globals = off

Chris [Visitor]
thank you so much for the fix I have been sturggling all day
PermalinkPermalink 18/06/10 @ 23:39

In response to: London Web Meetup: Top 10 UX Gotchas

PermalinkPermalink 26/05/10 @ 19:12
Roemer2201

In response to: Fixing WackoWiki for PHP 5

Roemer2201 [Visitor]
Solved the Problem for me. Thx
PermalinkPermalink 24/05/10 @ 09:42
Jim

In response to: Fixing Jack's formmail.php for register_globals = off

Jim [Visitor]
Thank you, I'd forgotten that the new website used php5 when I changed servers and couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong.
PermalinkPermalink 02/05/10 @ 00:17
Frances

In response to: London Web Standards: Javascript with Frances Berriman and Jake Archibald

Frances [Visitor]
Thanks so much for you kind comments. Glad you've gone away and tried out the systems we talked about - hope to see you again at a future event! :)

If you're still having trouble getting glow built for the browser, give us a shout on our mailing lists or drop me a line.
PermalinkPermalink 04/04/10 @ 12:56
JK

In response to: Rounded Corners for Image Elements in Firefox with SVG

JK [Visitor]
You just saved my life—this was driving me CRAZY.

PermalinkPermalink 10/03/10 @ 22:47

In response to: Adventures in Web 3.0: Part 5 - The HTML5 Canvas Element

robertc [Member]
Thanks Kevin. Yours does seem quite neat, allowing you to zoom in and out.

PermalinkPermalink 10/03/10 @ 22:14
Kevin

In response to: Adventures in Web 3.0: Part 5 - The HTML5 Canvas Element

Kevin [Visitor]
I wrote one too, it seems to be a bit faster, you can see it here.

PermalinkPermalink 10/03/10 @ 18:56
Kerstin

In response to: London Web Standards: Web Fonts with Ben Weiner

Kerstin [Visitor]
Check out kernest.com!
It's css3 based and has been fabulous to use - really opened up the possibilities of font creativity on the web.
PermalinkPermalink 07/03/10 @ 09:28

In response to: Adventures in Web 3.0: Part 3 - More CSS 3

robertc [Member]
Note that the syntax for CSS gradients in Firefox/Gecko has changed since this post was written. I've updated most of the example pages, but left the old syntax in place in the post. Click on the links and view source in the examples to see the new syntax.

PermalinkPermalink 20/02/10 @ 15:57

In response to: An Early Xmas Present - Opera 10.50 Pre-alpha

PermalinkPermalink 11/02/10 @ 22:26

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

robertc [Member]
I've made some improvements to the calculator page. The two practical differences are I've added the IE8 style -ms-filter syntax and I've added SizingMethod of 'auto expand' to the output - this means the element will resize to accommodate the rotated version. Daniel, I think this is what was causing your cut off issue - it was set in the CSS of the calculator page but not included in the output of the tool.

PermalinkPermalink 22/01/10 @ 00:54
Evden Eve Nakliyat

In response to: Fun with b2evolution plugins

Evden Eve Nakliyat [Visitor]
Hi .. thanks for making it available to everyone.. boogdesign.com = NUMBER ONE ;)
PermalinkPermalink 08/01/10 @ 11:05
Xiao Hou

In response to: Fun with b2evolution plugins

Xiao Hou [Visitor]
i have had such a nightmare with b2evo plugins.. this is a great help! thankyou
PermalinkPermalink 06/01/10 @ 16:04

In response to: An Early Xmas Present - Opera 10.50 Pre-alpha

robertc [Member]
Spoke too soon. Managed to land on a web page which saw Opera consume all my available memory. I guess when they said it was pre-Alpha, they meant it!

PermalinkPermalink 04/01/10 @ 01:16

In response to: An Early Xmas Present - Opera 10.50 Pre-alpha

robertc [Member]
The Linux 10.50 builds are now available. They can be extracted and run directly without having to install them. I tried the 32 bit build on Fedora 10 which was OK but there were a few odd artifacts in the chrome (shortcut icons appearing instead of arrows at the top of the scrollbars). Looking at the 64bit build on Fedora 12 now and that looks good.

PermalinkPermalink 04/01/10 @ 00:56
Daniel

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

Daniel [Visitor]
I have this setup on a hover of a link, but it seems to make the image cut off to the left when it rotates. It's driving me nuts. :(
PermalinkPermalink 31/12/09 @ 04:19

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

robertc [Member]
I've updated the calculator page: it now responds to hitting return within the input box as the function is called on the form submit event instead of the onclick of the button and I've added in support for Opera (10.50 onwards).

PermalinkPermalink 29/12/09 @ 12:06

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

robertc [Member]
Thanks Thomas. The calculator page is definitely a bit raw, I'll try and set aside some time for tidying it up a bit :)

PermalinkPermalink 14/11/09 @ 19:14
Thomas

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

Thomas [Visitor]
Thanks a lot for the calculator!
One detail: It would be nice if this thing was wrapped into a form and submittable by hitting enter.
PermalinkPermalink 14/11/09 @ 16:47
robertc

In response to: Building a compressed prototype + scriptaculous with YUI Compressor

robertc [Member]
OK, I've built a 1.8.3 version, let's see if that works better.

PermalinkPermalink 09/10/09 @ 15:22
Travis Walters

Travis Walters [Visitor]
I forgot to mention that scriptaculous just released version 1.8.3 as of yesterday! Maybe that is the reason for my problem. I am not sure yet.
PermalinkPermalink 09/10/09 @ 11:28
Travis Walters

Travis Walters [Visitor]
Has anybody tried the drag and drop in the most recent compressed file? I tried using the code provided here:

After replacing prototype and scriptaculous javascript files with the compressed version, it no longer works for me.
PermalinkPermalink 09/10/09 @ 10:48
claudia

In response to: Fixing Jack's formmail.php for register_globals = off

claudia [Visitor]
Hello Robert!
I made the changes above but still having problems.. same as as Balitas.. Can I email you my form mail so you can take a peak? Thanks in advance
PermalinkPermalink 07/10/09 @ 18:41
Anthony

In response to: Fixing Jack's formmail.php for register_globals = off

Anthony [Visitor]
Hi guys,

Been trying to get Formmail to work for months... I can receive emails with the information just fine but I want to do a redirect to my own html page. I've tried all the hacks in this thread and still no luck. Could someone please help me out? I'm a php noob so make no assumptions.
Thanks!
Anthony
PermalinkPermalink 30/09/09 @ 13:38

Hi arathael

I've never used prototip so I've no idea. Are there any errors in the console?

PermalinkPermalink 23/09/09 @ 23:03
arathael

arathael [Visitor]
ok here is the thing, the compressed file you posted doesn't work with latest prototip library.. and since that library does work with uncompressed versions.. er... what happened??
PermalinkPermalink 23/09/09 @ 20:16

In response to: Rounded Corners for Image Elements in Firefox with SVG

Hi Bill

The problem I'm referring to is that, in order to have the SVG included in the HTML recognised you have to serve the whole page as application/xhtml+xml. This leads to problems in IE, because it will then prompt you to download rather than display the web page.

If you put the SVG in a separate file then that can be served with it's own content type but the HTML can be served as standard text/html to be backwards compatible with Internet Explorer.

If you look at the page linked to from the text 'final example' at the end of my post you will see there is an external CSS file, rounded-corners.css, which then links to resources.svg to pick up the clipping rectangle. I found my apache was already correctly configured for SVG and using the correct content type.

All the files are in the same folder, so you should be able to download them easily.

PermalinkPermalink 18/09/09 @ 18:46
Jimmy Taylor

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

Jimmy Taylor [Visitor]
It is nice to view all the images and the mathematical algorithm it is simply so difficult by the user as static over to my head....
Thanks
Jimmy Taylor
PermalinkPermalink 18/09/09 @ 13:12
Bill

In response to: Rounded Corners for Image Elements in Firefox with SVG

Bill [Visitor]
This is *really* great stuff, but I am a little bit confused about the very last part:

"It's more useful to break the content into separate files, then the SVG can be served as image/svg+xml while your HTML is text/html."

I followed the link, and I understand that server configuration is important, but still I don't quite understand how to create the SVG resource file, where that goes on the server, etc.

any hints?

thanks!
PermalinkPermalink 17/09/09 @ 23:24
Andrea Giammarchi

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

Andrea Giammarchi [Visitor]
Maybe you guys would like to use a cross browser function which aim is to rotate without useless html progid styles?

Regards
PermalinkPermalink 05/09/09 @ 20:47
pitrdzi

pitrdzi [Visitor]
Does scriptaculous 1.8.2 work fine with prototype 1.6.1? Did anyone notice any problems?

thanks
PermalinkPermalink 05/09/09 @ 12:51

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

Hi Mathieu

The MSDN page demonstrates how to set the different matrix values rather than what specific matrix values you need to put in to (say) rotate by 30°. My aim was to provide a tool which lets you work out what the matrix values are for a particular rotation. You're correct that you could have worked it out for yourself by just doing the maths.

By the origin of the transformation I meant being able to rotate the element around its bottom left corner rather than around its centre point. I guess being able to move it and rotate it is equivalent if you calculate Dx and Dy in terms of the size of the element to be rotated?

PermalinkPermalink 04/09/09 @ 15:52
Mathieu 'p01' Henri

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

o_O wasn't this all documented and demonstrated 9 years ago in the MSDN page you linked to ?

Regarding the origin of the transformation, there is the Dx and Dy attributes to translate the element.
PermalinkPermalink 04/09/09 @ 15:20
Shea Frederick

In response to: Arbitrary Element Rotation in IE - the Matrix Filter

Shea Frederick [Visitor]
Good job figuring this out. Im with you on the math - totally over my head.
PermalinkPermalink 04/09/09 @ 13:09

robertc [Member]
Thanks arathael, I hadn't spotted the 1.6.1 release. Uploaded the updated version: protoaculous.1.8.2.p1.6.1.min.js.

PermalinkPermalink 01/09/09 @ 18:48
arathael

arathael [Visitor]
An 1.6.1 GA release anyone??? ple-ple-please??
PermalinkPermalink 01/09/09 @ 17:35
pablo

In response to: Fixing Jack's formmail.php for register_globals = off

pablo [Visitor]
YOU ROCK!!! Thanks for this fix! It really works!
PermalinkPermalink 15/07/09 @ 00:43

In response to: hCard Buttons Across the Web

robertc [Member]
Hi Justin. Thanks for your comments. My blog post was mostly tongue in cheek, I was more pleased about a major websites making use of Microformats than I was concerned about the leech.

PermalinkPermalink 13/07/09 @ 18:16
Justin

In response to: hCard Buttons Across the Web

Justin [Visitor]
Oo00ps. My fault! In my haste to try to teach the world about Microformats I *might* have accidently _linked_ to your button when I was designing v2 of the Services section of Comet. I did the whole thing in 3 days so was a bit rushed but really wanted to try to provide our customer base with more information about the technology we use to provide information. In doing this I spotted your button via the WIKI at Microformats.org.

Again sorry about the leech (I believe this has now been removed from the site).
But thanks so much for the excellent button design.
PermalinkPermalink 13/07/09 @ 10:58
bruce

In response to: Standards.Next HTML5

bruce [Visitor]
Glad you liked it. My slides and write up are here http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2009/meffys-atmedia-standardsnext/
PermalinkPermalink 29/06/09 @ 14:25
Martin Kliehm

In response to: Standards.Next HTML5

Martin Kliehm [Visitor]
Thanks for the feedback. My presentation is on Slideshare, the URLs on delicious, and the embedded videos on flickr. ;)

PermalinkPermalink 29/06/09 @ 10:22